Tournies are fun and help keep players engaged and the server competitive. Any player is welcome to host a tourney on any map by following these guidelines.
This article covers the following:
How to Host a Tourney
- Make a post announcing the tourney on the forum. (Example post) Make sure to include:
- Date, time & timezone
- Map & settings
- Channel to meet in
- Prize (cash, custom client tag, etc.)
- Any requirements (e.g. using Warvid on finals matches)
- Create your tourney on our Challonge.com Warcraft II group. (If you aren’t a member you can request to join below.)
- Advertise your tourney in as many places as possible — on the server, Facebook group, your YouTube channel, etc. You can also create an event in our Facebook group which has 1000+ members. Additional resources for advertising are listed below.
- On the day of the tourney use Challonge.com to set up your brackets and make the link available to participants (e.g. in your profile). We provide a tournies page you can link to which will automatically embed & update any tournaments from the War2 Challonge group in real time.
- Update brackets frequently as players report match results to keep things running smoothly.
- After the tourney ends update your forum thread with the results & issue out any winnings. If your tourney awards a custom client tag PM a staff member on the forum with the name of the winner to have it assigned.
- Figure out all the details of the tourney before you announce it — max/min number of players needed, number of matches per round, etc.
- Try to pick a date & time that is convenient to the largest number of players. Remember players live all over the world so there are multiple timezones to consider.
- Have a plan for dealing with uneven brackets from people no-showing or leaving halfway through.
- It can be helpful to set up a bot to automate tasks, e.g. whispering people who join the channel to check your profile for info/links
- Expect chaos!
Custom Client Tags
Custom client tags (aka “icons”) are the images that appear beside someone’s username in the chat lobby. Anyone can host a tourney that awards a custom icon as long as it meets the following criteria:
- Advertise the tourney at least two days before it takes place
- Advertise it specifically as an icon tourney
- Allow anyone to participate
- Have your icon prepared & approved by staff in advance
You’ll need to make the custom icon yourself (check this tutorial for tips) or find someone to make it for you. Once it’s ready PM it to mousEtopher, blid, or iL on the forum for approval and to be uploaded to the server.
Other resources (available on request)
- Posting on the website & adding to upcoming events calendar
- Posting on the War2Combat & War2 Tides of Darkness Facebook pages
- Temporary /announce capabilities on the day of the tourney
- Bot idle message advertising the tourney in the main channel
- Adding your custom ad banner to the chat lobby
Leave a Reply